Greenville ISD has announced that Bowie Elementary will be closed for one week due to COVID-19 exposure.
The district said that more than 10 percent of students have been directly exposed to the virus. Three positive cases have been reported at the campus.
You can read the full announcement from GISD below:
In keeping with GISD’s practices, we are notifying you that Bowie Elementary is closing next week due to more than 10% of the campus population being directly exposed to individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19.
There have been three positive cases associated with the campus. We have conducted contact tracing, and all those who were in close contact with the COVID-positive individuals have been contacted and informed. If you did not receive a call, please assume that you or your child have not been identified as having close contact.
The procedures are different for those who came in direct contact and those who are considered secondary contacts. Here is the plan:
- Those who have been in direct contact with a COVID-positive individual have received a contact tracing phone call and will be quarantined and participate in online learning until Sept. 26. The tentative plan is for those students and employees to return on the 27th if they do not develop symptoms.
- For the rest of the students and employees who have NOT been in direct contact and who did not receive a contact-tracing phone call, the plan is to return to campus next week. Employees will return to work Monday, Sept. 21 for staff development. Students will return to campus Tuesday, Sept. 22.
Tomorrow (Sept. 14) will be a limited instructional day for all of us as we distribute technology devices and other learning materials to students as follows:
- From 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 14, please make arrangements to pick up devices for all Bowie students who do not have devices at home. Also, please confirm with your teacher that the student has online access at home. We will make arrangements for those students who do not have at-home internet.
- Teachers will begin contacting families for specific needs tonight and Monday morning.
- Families will drive through the car line of Bowie. A staff member will greet you at your car. Please remain in your vehicle. Students’ devices and learning materials will be brought out.
- All Bowie students will begin full online instruction Tuesday, Sept. 15.
The building is being thoroughly disinfected. As a reminder, COVID-19 is thought to be spread via person-to-person contact through contaminated air droplets from coughing and sneezing by an infected person. As with controlling the spread of other viruses, we urge everyone to take the following preventive measures:
We are closely monitoring this situation and will continue to keep you informed, while also protecting individuals’ rights to privacy regarding their personal medical information.
If you begin experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms, please consult with your health care provider. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.